The Island of Old Florida. Enjoy what Jimmy Buffet has been singing about all these years. Wonderful communities on this beautiful ol Florida, beach bumish and laid back island. Enjoy live music, excellent shopping, local restaurants, great fishing, golf, white sand and gorgeous tranquil Gulf waters. With its white sandy beaches and warm temperatures, for many years Anna Maria Island was considered a “hidden gem,” the sleepy island providing a rare slice of “Old Florida. In the past decade, tourism development has been targeted as a key economic goal by island, county and state officialsand millions of tax dollars have been invested to draw visitors to the island with national and international advertising and publicity.
Anna Maria Island today is divided into the three cities of Anna Maria in the north, Holmes Beach in the middle, and Bradenton Beach in the south. In 2005 the United States Census Bureau estimated the combined population of the three cities at approximately 8,500.
The main north-south road on the island is Gulf Drive, which begins on the south end of the island at the foot of the Longboat Pass Bridge from Longboat Key. Gulf Drive is the only road that runs the entire length of the island. It is State Road 789 south of Manatee Avenue in Holmes Beach and County Road 789 north of there.
There are two bridges across Sarasota Bay from the mainland: the Cortez Bridge, which brings State Road 684 into Bradenton Beach from Cortez, and the Manatee Avenue Bridge, which brings State Road 64 into Holmes Beach from the Palma Sola section of Bradenton.
Anna Maria Island is serviced by a free trolley-style bus that runs north and south on Gulf Drive. The trolley connects with both the MCAT (Manatee County Area Transit) system serving the greater Bradenton area, and the SCAT (Sarasota County Area Transit) system. The MCAT connects to the trolley at Manatee Public Beach, at the intersection of State Road 789 and State Road 64. The SCAT connects to the trolley at Coquina Beach, at the south end of Anna Maria Island, just before the Longboat Key Bridge.[ Several local taxi companies serve Anna Maria Island.
Anna Maria Island was only accessible by boat until 1921, when the wooden Cortez Bridge was constructed from the fishing village of Cortez to what is now Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach. The remaining parts of the Cortez Bridge are used as a fishing pier.
Anna Maria Island was discovered by the local Timucan and Caloosan American Indian tribes, and later, by Spanish explorers (including Hernando DeSoto) in the name of the Spanish Crown. Hernando de Soto and his crew entered the mouth of Tampa Bay, north of Anna Maria Island, in May, 1539, passing it by to make their landfall on the mainland.
In 1892, George Emerson Bean became the first permanent resident on the Island, homesteading much of what is now the City of Anna Maria. After Bean’s death in 1898, the land’s ownership transferred to his son, George Wilhelm Bean, who partnered with Charles Roser, a wealthy real estate developer from St. Petersburg, to form the Anna Maria Beach Company in order to develop the area. The company laid out streets, built sidewalks and houses, and installed a water system.
Walk Score for Anna Maria Island
Anna Maria Island School Data
Anna Maria Island School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
Anna Maria Island Schools
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school data. Please check back soon.
Posted on January 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm by Jesse H. Griffin